Career Services Director Offers Top Tips for Job Seekers
Midge Reichert, Northwood University Florida's Director of Career Services recently shared top tips for job seekers with all South Florida television affiliates as the campus hosted the Palm Beach Outlet Mall Career Fair. With retailers on hand to interview candidates seeking positions ranging from sales associates to managers, Reichert advised job seekers to:
- Prepare well in advance by researching participating companies and familiarize themselves with each organization’s history, mission, product lines, and market demographic.
- Dress for success by wearing neutral colors, a well-tailored pantsuit or skirt and blouse, and closed-toed shoes for the ladies, and a well-tailored suit with a white or light blue dress shirt, a stylish tie, and polished shoes for the gentlemen.
- Present themselves with a firm handshake, a smile and direct eye contact, while succinctly (30 seconds or less) introducing themselves and explaining how their skill set can be of value to the company’s unique goals and objectives.
- Have digital resumes prepared in advance to submit electronically, and hard copy business cards and resumes available to distribute to employers at the fair - and don’t forget to bring a pen!
- When collecting business cards, have theirs in one pocket and the ones they collect in the other. This will keep them separated to avoid any mistakes in handing out the wrong cards.
- Within 24 hours of introduction to the employer, write a hand-written thank you note. This personalized follow-up will represent them as a professional, and distinguish them from the competition.
Drawing over 6000 job seekers vying for approximately 1500 full and part-time jobs, the event offered opportunities for Northwood University leaders to share expertise with media relating to top tips for job seekers, the economic effects of mall, and more.
Said Palm Beach Outlets General Manager Jim Roberts, “With Palm Beach Outlets creating over a thousand jobs in the local market, the New Year will bring new opportunity for so many in our community.”
Over 100 stores are hiring at the new outlet center. Some of the stores participating in the job fair included Saks Fifth Avenue OFF 5TH, J.Crew | Crewcuts Factory, Tommy Hilfiger Company Store, Aerosoles, Gap Factory Store, Rawlings Sporting Goods, Destination Maternity and more.
Located directly off Interstate 95 on Palm Beach Lakes Boulevard in West Palm Beach, Palm Beach Outlets is being developed by a partnership of New England Development and Eastern Real Estate. Redevelopment of the property began in January 2013 and is expected to be completed on schedule for grand opening activities starting February 14, 2014. The investment by New England Development and Eastern Real Estate will make Palm Beach Outlets the premier outlet shopping attraction in the Palm Beach market. An estimated 1,500 full and part time permanent positions in retail management and sales are projected to be created as a result of the redevelopment of Palm Beach Outlets which will consist of brand favorites including: Saks Fifth Avenue OFF 5TH, J. Crew | Crewcuts Factory, Ann Taylor Factory Store, Banana Republic Factory Store, Kenneth Cole, Talbots, Under Armour Factory Store and White House | Black Market.